Thursday, August 30, 2018

Thank you for the fb "Happy Birthday"

Birthdays. They come every year. While birthdays can be different or feel the same (cause those are the only options) there is one thing that I have found consistent these last ten years...the Facebook Happy Birthdays. It's comforting to know in these days of social media that I won't be forgotten. At least one person will type in (even if with autofill) that obligatory Happy Birthday. I do it all the time for most of my "friends" (whether I am close to them or not. All that matter is remebeing).

This year I turned **(cough) and I found myself looking at who posted. It wasn't all 300 friends. So who? Why these "friends"? I know some of these "friends" of mine aren't using facebook all that much or don't know how (Daddy). But of those who do post Happy Birthday there's some I haven't talked to in a year or more. It is nice to know I made an impression on them for them to think of me after so much time.

Some people who posted are friends with my parents, my sister, or church. Some are my relatives. There's also a few people who I have done work with before, whether we worked well together or not (with some there was drama). As I look at the scope I think about how many ways I have made friends and I am in awe.

Then there are some people I met through a significant other who is now this person's ex or met on coffee meets begal. That's a little awkward. Yet endearing that people, despite awkward and potentially scaring encounters still take the time to post Happy Birthday (even if with autofill).

Then there's those who go above and beyond, those who write in more than the obligatory Happy Birthday, who write a full sentence or even two. I find this brave since anything written online lasts forever, which is why I usually don't do it. Instead I write a blog. For some reason that is less scary. Somehow talking with that one audience member (at the least) on a day like their birthday seems scary. I don't want to say something that may be taken wrong. "What do you mean I should have a good day. Maybe I don't want to." Yeah, I know it's unlikely someone (anyone but me) would say something like that, let alone type it into Facebook (cause again these posts stay forever). But it also sounds cookie cutter. And why type in more strokes and reach the same result as the Happy Birthday (which autofill helps with). It strikes me, (because this is why I might do it) that maybe there is something special about the person to add the extra strokes, put in the extra time(which none of us have enough of). Maybe these people feel safe or know me well enough to put in something special. I say yes! This year there were many who wrote much more than the Happy Birthday someone who texted instead of writing on fb. And these things were special, a video, a thank you, gratitude for me. It warms my heart.

Whether you posted Happy Birthday or something more thank you all who posted. Many of my school friends who know me well including a very cool professor made me very happy to hear from. I hope you all enjoyed this post. It is for you. Thank you all for making my average existence seem a wonder this one day.

And write a comment so I have a comment from someone other than a missionary who serves in India and keeps begging me to come as if we've never talked about it before. (Sadly I doubt he even has a mission.) With lots of love, Julia.

No comments: