Friday, September 15, 2017

Five Tricks to Reading the Bible in a Year (or just every day)



I was in 8th grade when I first tried to read through the Bible. Then I tried again in 12th with one of those “Read the Bible in a year” Bibles. Neither worked. Then for lent a few years back I read a guided reading. After lent I continued experimenting on how I would read daily; follow the lectionary, read from the beginning. I settled on reading a pericope each day reading through a book that I felt God calling me to read.

Now every morning I read the Bible. Sure there are a few days where I’ve slept in or an emergency has pulled me away, but 9 times out of 10 I do it.

This last year with Calvary Presbyterian Church in South Pasadena I took on reading the whole Bible in a year. That’s reading 3-7 chapters a day 6 days a week for a year (Sabbath was an off day. I usually don’t take it when I’m on my personal plan).

Reading the Bible in a year was hard. Like a commitment in marriage, some days aren’t good. But you stick with it. Though it was hard I am glad I did it. A daily dose of Gospel, of hearing God’s promises in both the Old and New Testament gives me a heart filled with hope and faith and a better understanding of God and righteousness. It truly nourishes. And here are five tricks I found helped me stick with it;

1.     Schedule

Calvary had a schedule for us which kept me on track. You can find schedules online. Give yourself some grace when things come up. Experiment on how you want to go about it, splitting it up for meal times, morning and night, or once a day. Try to find the same time(s) each day. Then it becomes a routine. Time is often an issue for doing this. I dedicated a half an hour a day, that’s it. It’s worth it to be closer to our creator and redeemer.

2. Accountability

As an Intern at Cavalry, I had to write weekly emails about the passages so I couldn’t slack. Find some outside person, group, or activity (like emails) that hold you accountable. (I admit, when my internship was over after 9months I slacked a little and ended three days behind when I was originally a week ahead, so accountability is important.)

3. Pray (Before and After Reading)

Before you read Pray, inviting the Holy Spirit to teach you. I pasted an intro prayer on the top of my Bible. It became second nature to me;

“Dear Lord, help this scripture teach me who you are and how I shall be your servant as broken as I am.”

This opened me up to God and what the scripture had to say. The prayer is deeply theological. If you find it harsh and would like a more detailed explanation of this prayer, let me know in the comments, and I can write another article on it.

Pray after. First thank God for all that you got out of the time with him, even if it was only one little thing. Gratitude helps you focus and discern what to carry with you in your heart. It also shapes an outlook of gratitude. But you don’t have to be grateful for it all. Confusion, anger, frustration God can hold that. Reach out to him for help alongside your gratitude. Ask questions. This is a journey, and you’re not alone in it.

4. Express Yourself

I am a writer. I am also a kinesthetic learner. So, after I read, I would journal, writing and absorbing what the passage said as I wrote down a summary too (prayer followed). I limited myself to a page in a journal to respect my time. It fell within my 30 minutes. If you’re a musician, you can write a song or music. Perhaps you’re an artist who likes to draw or paint. Incorporate something into this practice that connects to who you are. Talk, write a professional memo, dance even. God wants to know you too!

5. Accept your Finite Abilities;

There were some days I was exhausted or couldn’t focus. I still read.  Sure I didn’t always feel like I got something extraordinary out of it. But I usually got something. Even on those days that I got zilch I still think it was worth it.

You may be tired, or your brain may hurt from other responsibilities, that’s okay, just read. Let God worry about what you get out of it. Besides, in one reading you won’t get everything out of these chapters. The Holy Spirit will give you a taste. Enjoy it. Enjoy the journey. The Valley’s teach as well as the hills. And when you’re done in a year you can go back and reread stuff you want to explore more. I bet you’ll be motivated to find out more from other sources; commentaries and study Bibles. And if you truly find reading the Bible in a year too overwhelming go back to a smaller reading. That’s just fine.

I am going back to reading a pericope at a time (after I pray about where to start- 
You can see from the photo I started in Isaiah.). Honestly, I think I like it better. But I’m still glad I read the Bible in a Year. I recommend everyone to work towards it and do it at least once.



3 comments:

Diwakar said...

Hello Julia Wells. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in the Godly things. Those five tricks to Reading the Bible in a Year are very practical. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 38 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

Diwakar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julia Wells said...

Diwakar, I have received multiple offers to join you. It's simply not my call. And the way you act, by posting on blogs you aren't commenting on, posting again when I did not show any interest suggests you're not actually doing what you say. No one who is would have the time to reach out, again and again, fishing where the fish aren't biting. Stop harassing me.

Blessings in whatever God is calling you to do (which isn't this), Julia.