Monday, September 22, 2014

Why I chose to Rewrite Syfy's Haven

Season four of the TV show Haven, airing on the Syfy network has both confused and disappointed me.

Haven is a cop show based on the Stephen King Novel "The Colorado Kid". It's about a town with troubled people, people who have abilities that cause trouble, death, mayhem, and just plain weirdness. The cops, Audrey Parker and Nathan Wuornos investigate the troubles to figure out who is causing it so they can help that person and as the do they discover secrets about the town and themselves.

While I didn’t like Season 4 I think it was in the season finale of Season 3 where my confusion which lead to my disappointment really started as characters and the environment started behaving in ways that violate their character development and basic logic (which continues and gets worse in Season 4).

See…Audrey through the three Seasons has discovered that she appears in Haven every 27 years as a young woman with a new name and personality. She only stays for a short time and when she leaves by way of “the barn”, which isn’t really a barn, the troubles go away. But Audrey is in love with Nathan who loving her too doesn’t want to let her go. When she learns that she can stay in Haven and end the troubles but she’ll have to kill someone she loves, namely Nathan, I don’t see her ignoring that. Audrey has never been a selfish character and the number of people she’ll save is astronomical.  But the writers choose to have her ignore it and go in the barn. Nathan so angry turns to the apparent keeper of the barn who has served as Audrey’s guide, shoots him apparently destroying the barn. I found this ludicrous that his ‘death’ would destroy the barn, what Audrey is traveling in to leave. No one would design a system where the death of a person regularly in danger would destroy a hope. Whatever is happening with the troubles and Audrey has to make more sense than that.

I understand the writers were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Killing Nathan was going to ruin the show because the troubles would end and that’s the whole plot mechanism of the show. There would be no Haven TV show without the troubles. For three days I sat with this problem and one morning I came up with the perfect solution. It might enlighten you to know that at the time I was doing research for a paper about the incarnation of Christ – I’m in seminary.

Check out the next post: “Haven: The New Last three minutes of the Season 3 Finally” And if you’re not familiar with the show check out the page "Haven Character Bios"or the Haven website at http://www.syfy.com/haven and Season 1-4 is also on Netflix. I use a lot of Season 1-3 references in my "Julia" version.

No comments: