Monday, October 22, 2012

Want to Make a Friend?

In high school and middle school it’s easy to hate that mean girl or the bully boy but Jesus said love your enemy in Mathew 5: 43-48. Jesus implies you can receive blessing by loving your enemies because they can be your friends if you just treat them that way. When you love your enemies not only will your stress, the drama of hating them go to God, you’ll also witness love to them and they may learn to love you in return as a true friend, who defends, supports, and protects you.

I’ve seen it! Here's a fun little video that shows how it works. Then I'll continue with some of my real life examples of how I've seen it work around me.

Two of my friends in high school hated each other with a passion. They did horrible things to each other; spread rumors, tattle on each other, and said nasty things to each other. BUT when they stopped, and it was a sudden halt they both agreed on one night backstage during a play all three of us were in, when they made the choice to be nice to each other during that play they became the best of friends, inseparable.
A good friend of mine in high school loved everyone. She had God in her heart and Christ as her savior, never said a bad word about a soul, was the happiest person I know, and never seemed to have a bad day. Everyone was her friend and would attest to that if asked.

It’s not an easy thing to do, love your enemies. I have trouble a great deal of the time. I’ve challenged myself to do it and I’ve made some progress. I now challenge all of you to do it. You can start slow, wish something good for them, say a prayer to bring them something even you would consider good, and when the opportunity comes your way do something nice, such as if they’re standing in back of you in the cafeteria line, offer them to go in front of you. Then you can work your way up to saying something nice to them for no reason, inviting them to Jamba juice or your birthday party.
Remember often those who are the most difficult to love are in the most need of it AND a drop of water in a dry mouth will mean so much more than a cup full in a content mouth. You can seriously change someone’s life by doing this and will open the door for God to bring a change inside them.

No comments: