Monday, October 01, 2012

5 Things I don’t understand about the Female Gender (my gender)


Why are Diamonds a girl’s best friend?
My friends usually breathe and talk to me. I’m not saying the diamond shouldn’t be in an engagement ring, though it doesn’t have to be a diamond, what I am saying is when a guy buys me jewelry it says one of three things, “he did something bad,” “he had no idea what to get,” and or “I can now feed a small tribe in Africa.” For me diamonds/jewelry is cold (unless it has some other significance like it was a family air loom or it’s religious jewelry). It’s also an unnecessary expense, that money could be used for a better purpose than to adorn oneself when one could adorn oneself with something fake that’s just as pretty, and who knows if the gift is her style.

Why do we love scented soaps and lotions?
I react badly to perfume, even Febreze sprayed heavily gives me problems, so this could just be my thing. I usually don’t react badly to scented soaps or lotions but I still don’t understand; why does it have to be scented? Fruit scents and vanilla aren’t so bad but some scents can be intense and there’s no way to get rid of it once you’ve soothed that dry skin or done the healthy thing and washed your hands.

Why do we need throw pillows?
Yes, they make things pretty but for me right now all I can think is “They have no function and cost money”. They are not cheap. I have a pillow on my bed for sleeping and that’s enough. The throw pills, on the bed just get in the way. HOWEVER throw pillows on the couch, on more than one occasion I’ve used them to take a nap so one or two isn’t so bad (I’d put them on a registry). When someone gets into double or triple digest, unless they have 5 or more couches in their house, I think someone needs an intervention. (I’m totally putting that in my sitcom)

Why all that makeup every day?
Now I enjoy putting on a little cover up, lip stick, and foundation (when I have the time) but some women glob it on then look like hookers. They worship makeup as they sit in front of the altar of their mirror every morning for over an hour craning their necks to glimpse that sacred figure. Not only did God make us beautiful just as we are but also society’s views on beauty change over time. In centuries past being large and pale used to be beautiful and they went to dangerous lengths to ensure it. Sound familiar? Only now it’s skinny and tan. On more than one occasion an old photo or home video shows family of mine all dolled up and by today’s standards looking ridiculous. They even admit that. This is why I do what makes me feel beautiful, my hair is always straight and only styled for special occasions, and I don’t feel the need to put on makeup every day. And I shudder at what all that glop is doing to their skin.

Why do we like flowers from our boyfriends/husbands?
Of course they brighten your day as a birthday gift or get well flowers from a friend. A romantic gift it's not, flowers die, attract bugs, and are messy to clean up after. And roses have prickly thorns. I have the added challenge of allergies so certain flowers give me headaches. I probably shouldn’t put my face in them… but it’s a reflex.

No comments: