Saturday, March 10, 2012

Society’s normal compared to the Christian normal

"I just want to be normal!" parents of teenagers hear it right before the bedroom door slams. The parents don't even have a chance to yell, "go to your room!"

I looked up the definition of normal, what I found on "yahoo answers" from a "normal" person, rather than a dictionary, came from Johnny, "Normal is a subjective standard people set for themselves." He went on to talk about how jokes in one click might mean nothing to another click. That means in order to be "normal" in a group you've got to find a group of people who understand you.

I think culture often defines the group normal. "Going on holiday", is the British "normal" way to say what people from the US call "going on vacation". But culture isn't only defined by countries. There are many different cultures inside countries and subcultures within them. Clicks can be considered a subculture of a high school. The culture I consider myself a part of is the Christian culture.

A few weeks ago I was at a talk where the speaker said, "once you choose to become a Christian what was once normal doesn’t seem so normal anymore." It’s true. I've often looked at the world through my Christian lens and wondered, why are people behaving like that, don't they know better? Sadly a lot of people don't and all who do "know" won't always behave according to their knowledge, myself included.

Below are two lists I compiled. (I could do them side by side in the antiquated Word 2007 but not here.) The lists are first of the things society generally finds normal. The second is a list of what is normal for a Christian. Remember, normal does not mean this is what the majority of people, Christians or not, do/believe. It's the values that the culture seems to validate through media, for society's list and the Bible, for Christian list.

Society’s Normal
  1. I’m only lovable if I get good grades, do well in my extra circulars, get into a good college, and fit in with my click
  2. People only love me if I’m pretty
  3. My possessions define my status
  4. Everyone does it
  5. Christians are weird perfect people
  6. If she flicked you off then you have every right to call her a bitch
  7. Get drunk and or high every once and awhile, it’s fun
  8. Cracking a joke at someone’s expense is a good way to make people laugh
  9. Watching people get into desperate situations is entertaining
  10. If you like him and he likes you have sex

Christian Normal
  1. God loves me no matter what!
  2. People will love me if I'm a kind loving person.
  3. My character, how I treat people, including myself defines who I am
  4. Who cares if everyone does it. Do I want to face the consequences?
  5. Christians believe/do things on "society’s normal list" and are just as messed up as anyone else only they’re doing something about it.
  6. If she flicked you off she has issues. Say a prayer for her.
  7. Drink if you want to but avoid getting drunk or high so you can retain your God given abilities to make rational decisions.
  8. Cracking a joke at someone’s expense is mean and hurtful
  9. Watching people get into desperate situations is heart wrenching
  10. If you like him and he likes you wait till marriage to have sex so you can build a strong foundations for your relationship
I'm sure Christian or not people can identify with a few on each side of the list. Don't worry, that's normal. There's no such thing as a perfect Christian and if you're not a Christian that doesn't mean you can't have some Christian values.

Note; If you want to look at a biblical list of the Christian "Normal" you can look at Ephesians 4:17-5:20.

No comments: