Thursday, March 01, 2012

My Favorite Sin

My favorite sin is worshiping a television show instead of God. It’s a painful sin I realized after this week’s Ringer episode.

If you’re not familiar with Ringer (Tues 9/8c on the CW) it’s about Bridget, a drug addict being hunted, who takes the place of her identical twin, Shivon, a New York socialite, only to find out her sister’s life is more messed up than hers. It has a variety of plot threads*; a family drama portion, murder mystery, and psychological intrigue. All have to do with some mystery. Slowly each week Bridget pulls away at the clues to each of the mysteries.

Over the last few episodes a lot has happened the most important part for me is that Andrew, Shivon’s estranged husband, has reconnected with his wife these last few months, oblivious to the fact Bridget is not his wife. My favorite thing about the show was imagining how wonderful it would for Bridget to tell Andrew that their relationship has blossomed again because she’s Bridget not Shivon. And he’s such a sweet man I imagined his love for her would be so steadfast that they’d join forces to solve the many mysteries around them.

This last Tuesday, Feb 28th, the audience was given a huge piece of the puzzle, which makes all the mysteries no longer mysteries. And it does more; Andrew, the sweet loving husband and father is a crook and a liar so Bridget has every reason to ditch him rather than running off into the sunset with him. I thought Shivon was a bad guy but she’s really a good guy with very gray morals—so not really good either. I thought Bridget was in control but she’s actually a very little pawn.

The episode is appropriately titled, “Ps. You’re an idiot.” I feel like such an idiot. This next episode better give me warm fussy feelings because frankly writers I’m feeling like you might be the idiots.

Then again, it’s my fault for worshiping a television show. Like it says in the book, “Simply Christian; Why Christianity Makes Sense” by N. T. Right, we mirror what we worship—so worshiping God the most perfect example of love should be where are eyes are, not a television show designed to entertain the masses, whom I have a hard time understanding. (We’ll get to that in the “Normal” entry next week.)

*plot threats are different stories lines that all connect in some fashion, either to each other, a character, or a group of characters.

No comments: