Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Prayer...Answered


 
Monday morning I woke up with a crushing dread in my chest, I did not want to get out of bed. It was a work holiday and unlike most I dread them, because I usually spend the day lounging in bed, in front of the TV, and berating myself to get something done on the mental list I make for myself. Sunday night I wrote my list down (this blog entry was on it) but that Monday not wanting to get out of bed I feared my productivity would equal that of a slug.

                Part of my reluctance was my novel writing, which I do every day first thing in the morning, wasn’t going well. I’ve worked on the novel “Misconception: Search for Love” for years and on my 8th draft (or so, I’m not sure how to count them) I was feeling discourage it needed some major redraft. Even though I knew the only way to get through the troubled portion was to sit and write, “I don’t want to get up,” I thought and mentally pounded my fists against my bed. I buried my face in my pillow, “Don’t be like a slug,” I thought and felt that brick on my chest again.

 I prayed to God; “give me the courage, rip this fear from my chest”. Nothing happened. I waited, still nothing happened. So without getting out of bed I slid the Bible from the alcove by my bed and opened it up to Joshua. I was to read Joshua for a middle school group I’m helping with. When I read the text, “Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. ” (Joshua 1:9) I got my answer to my prayer—God was with me, he would always bring me courage. I had no reason to be discouraged or terrified when he is with me.

                 I got up, after I finished reading, and the rest of Monday I got a good number of things on my list done; went to the gym for the first time in weeks and though I didn’t get this blog out until now I count it a productive day. And my writing; today I found a possible solution to my trouble—it will work itself out as long as I have the courage to fight against my discouragement and sit down and write.
                God is with me!


 

 

 

               

No comments: